blankhomeaboutthe fammy faithwhats cookinget crafty

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Grilled Cabbage with Smoked Paprika, Honey, Lime Juice, & Feta Cheese


I love cabbage but sometimes I find myself using it in the same ways I have for years...in slaws, salads or sautéing it.  So I set out on a mission...a cabbage mission. My goal was to be more creative with my cabbage friend and add a little more unexpected flavor. Though I had never before thought of marinating it, I decided this is how I would start.  In fact I wasn't sure how much of a marinade it would actually absorb. This being said I knew my flavors would probably need to be bold but not overpowering. 


I came up with a few ingredients that sounded great together in my mind but I suspected that after making it once I might need to make a few tweaks here and there. To my surprise my first experimentation of ingredients was amazing. I loved the flavors and the cabbage actually absorbed a good amount of the marinade. Success!! I marinated my cabbage slices with smoked paprika, lime juice, and honey, grilled them and then sprinkled a nice helping of feta cheese on top. Wow, what a change from my same old hum drum cabbage recipes that I have been using for years. This was deliciously refreshing and new! Using the smoked paprika really lent to the smokiness of BBQ-ing the cabbage steaks without overpowering them with too much heat. The honey grounds the rest of the ingredients and the feta adds a nice creamy and salty flavor to the finished dish.

Grilled Cabbage with Smoked Paprika, 
Honey, Lime Juice, & Feta Cheese

Ingredients:
1 small red cabbage
juice of 2 limes
zest of 1 lime
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
salt and pepper
feta cheese

Directions:
Slice your cabbage into 3/4-1 inch thick steaks. Do not core the cabbage. Leaving the core intact will help your cabbage steaks stay together better. Place the lime juice, zest, honey, olive oil and smoked paprika into a large zip lock bag. Swish around the ingredients in the bag to help incorporate them together. Add your cabbage steaks and let marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes. Heat your grill and add your cabbage steaks cooking until the cabbage starts to char just a bit around the edges, about 10 minutes. Carefully turn over your cabbage and cook on the opposite side, about another 10 minutes. Remove your cabbage from the grill and place on a serving platter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and a nice helping of feta cheese. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips